Thursday, December 20, 2007

Mayor Tom Leppert's Begging Ban

My business has been located in downtown Dallas since 1981 and I personally know some of the homeless people who have been on and off the streets for years. As most people know, there are many different reasons that people are homeless. Some of the reasons can be drug addiction, alcoholics, working poor, mental illness and recently moved to town. All of the people that are homeless do not panhandle.

While I do not believe in being an enabler for bad behavior,I will continue to do what I have been doing over the past 25 years to help where I want to help. I want to directly help the people that I choose to help by buying them meals, bottle water, soda and personal hygiene items. I have no interest in giving an organization money to go to administrative staff and other operational cost. No one, that includes Mayor Leppert, can tell me that I can not spend my money on who I want to spend it on. This is America.

No comments: