Thursday, November 1, 2007

Trinity Vote Campaign and Laura Miller

I am amazed at the people who are so horrified that Laura Miller is being used in the Vote Yes campaign. They all start out with "I have had my problem with Laura Miller, but I do not think that she should be used in the campaign." It is amazing to me that many of these people say they have been involved in politics all of their lives, but do not have the real grasp of what was voted on in 1998 for the trinity river project. I am now beginning to wonder if they were here in 1998, and if they were, did they vote.

In 1998, Mayor Ron Kirk pushed the Trinity River idea to the community with a promise of economic development in the southern sector (whatever that means). At that time, then council member Laura Miller was against The Trinity River plan and made that known to everyone. In 2003 Mayor Laura Miller worked with consultants and developed the "Balanced Vision Plan for The Trinity River", and that is what we are voting on. This is Laura Miller's Plan. This is Laura Miller's Plan.

I have probably spoken out against Laura Miller more or as many times as most people, but I do not hate Laura Miller, and she knows that. She was the very first person to call me after Mayor Leppert, Dwaine (Dwayne,Dewayne) Caraway, Tennell Adkins,Willis Johnson and Jerry Allen worked to get me thrown off the DART Board so that Lynn Flint Shaw could become the chairman. That call was very special to me, and I told Laura how much her call meant to me. I went on to tell her, that whatever our differences were, I always had her phone number and could meet with her (unlike Tom Leppert) to discuss my concerns.

I was not involved in The TrinityVote campaign early on because as an appointed official you can not be, but I made it clear that I was supportive of the efforts of Councilwoman Hunt, and that the community needed more Public Servants rather than politicians. For those who have dropped out of the campaign, I say thank you.

Remember: They do not have to do it to us, we do it to each other

No comments: