Friday, October 12, 2007

DISD Residency Policy

Who is in charge at DISD? I ask that question when I spoke yesterday at DISD. I continue to wonder if the persons that we elected to the school board is in charge or the outside organizations that do not have accountability to anyone. Are they telling the superintendent how to march? I thought that the elected officials were the ones to set policy, but maybe I am just a taxpayer, and I should not have any say through my representative (elected official).

Why would people who work for our district not want to live in Dallas? What message would the school board send if they do not have requirements that our top level officials live in Dallas?

While growing up and attending schools in Dallas, one of the important factors was that the teachers, administrators and employees lived in the neighborhood and we saw them at church, the grocery store, cleaners, and so on. It is very important that these administrators are role models to the students that are in their charge.

Several speakers, including Beatrice Martinez, Diana Flores and myself spoke to either keeping the current residency policy are strengthening it. There is no question that the board did listen and we hope that they will act in the best interest of the students and taxpayers of Dallas.

No comments: